5/3/1 and the Hook Grip
I’ve been asked several times how to incorporate or prepare for deadlifting with the hook grip. Let’s just start off by saying that the hook grip is not very comfortable, especially for those that are pulling over 700 pounds. Now if you are tugging weights in the 300-500 pound range, the hook grip is pretty easily tolerated. Comfortable? No. But a few hundred pounds makes a big difference on the thumbs.
The hook grip can be used in place of the classic over/under grip in the deadlift. It is preferable for those that have some kind of elbow or biceps problem on the supinated hand. Here are some easy ways to use the hook grip if you are training with the 5/3/1 method.
- Change all “5” rep sets to 3 reps.
- Don’t go for max reps on the last set.
- After the last set, take a break and come back for an AMRAP set using straps.
That’s about as easy and basic as I can make it. Also, use chalk.
• Get the 2nd Edition 5/3/1 Ebook Here
• 5/3/1 Hard Copy on Amazon