I like static stretching. I know I am in the minority but it works for me, allows me to train, allows me to sleep and the difference when I do static stretch (and when I don't) is night and day. If you are in the same boat, read on.
This is the simple routine I have used that can be done daily or several times a day. It goes something like this:
- PVC roll IT band - 50-100 rolls per side
- Lacrosse ball on piriformis - 2-5 minutes
- Band hamstring - lay on back, pull leg back and move leg, foot and knee around for complete stretch
- Band groin - pull leg to the side (for example, right leg is pulled to the right side). Keep the other leg straight.
- Band low back - pull leg across body (for example, right leg is brought across body, keeping shoulders flat)
- Band hip flexor/quad - lay on stomach or side, bend knee, pull foot back and UP.
I use an average band for this (I have no idea what the colors are these days). The key is to put your body in positions that stretch the areas - find the tight spots and stretch them. Gape the tight!
• Get the 2nd Edition 5/3/1 Ebook Here
• 5/3/1 Hard Copy on Amazon